I had to take a break from the Mahtradors, I just had to. Smack in the middle of the Bitch King I just decided I need a break. Then the question begged – “Well then, what the hell do I do?”
The answer, of course, was “demons”.
Don’t get me wrong, I am still writing for the Mahtradors and The Age of Waking Death series is NOT on an indefinite hiatus. Alongside this WIP I have continued writing the Bitch King but my inspiration well was running dry. I did not want to finish it just for the sake of it being done. I want the damn thing to actually be good.
I have found my salvation in my latest WIP entitled “Netherearth”. My story content has returned with renewed richness, my characters feel alive again, and I might actually have a plot to this one. (LE GASP).
There are a few things about this story that I feel my faithful readers will connect to instantly. For instance…
- It takes place in Dragoloth
- There is a Mahtrador character (a brand new one)
- It is as dark and intricate as my former works, just served up in a new way
- It features some characters you have met / will meet in The Hollow Living / The Bitch King / Baron of Blood.
- There is, of course, all of the gay relationships.
In other words, the territory is not entirely unfamiliar. This is not another one of my alien, standalone projects. It is relevant to the Age of Waking Death timeline and to Dragoloths’s history.
What I think will appeal to both faithful and new readers alike…
- You see a different side of Dragoloth (I actually ventured out of the castle for this one)
- Almost none of the characters are noble or royal (only 2 so far, I believe), a brand new experience for me in this universe.
- Only one of the characters is Verian. There is much more racial variety amongst this cast (faeries, elves, humans, demons, etc…)
- At least three characters so far are transgender. While I myself identify as trans*, this is the first time I have ever written for trans* characters in Dragoloth so explicitly.
- It is full of surreal dreamscapes and hellscapes, something I’ve never before explored my full potential for.
- As I have ventured from royalty in this book, I have also ventured from the mainstream pantheon. Saldon, Morre, and Azrael have brief mention in this work. But there is more mention of minor more folklorish gods (i.e. Tieres, the god of the sea).
So there you have it. I will try to keep better progress updates about this story here, since I haven’t had a lot to talk about lately and I’m completely obsessed with this story now that I’m nearly past that initial first 20,000 word hump. By the way, I feel it worth mentioning that I have been maintaining a consistent writing pace through an elaborate (not really) connection between my computer word documents, Dropbox, and Jotterpad on my phone. So once again, if you’re an especially busy author (or you’re just like me and you don’t feel like toting your computer around the house or juggling it while feeding a baby) then consider Jotterpad for your phone or tablet.
It may sound like a joke but I have seriously clocked in 1,000 words on my little Android phone in a sitting, so it’s a legitimate tool for making serious progress.
AND BEFORE I FORGET you can keep track of my progress further by reading all of my chapter updates for free on Wattpad . I will be updating it at least once a week if not more often. Cheers!