Hello my lovelies!
It’s been a few days, but in my defense I’ve been working diligently on my latest project. And I’m going to be actively updating this blog for a few weeks because I want to try a more organized strategy for its release.
About this project: It’s under a new pen name, J.M. Morgan. Why? Because I like to try different things. (So far it’s just for this one book, I’m not changing my entire identity. It’s like A.N. Roquelaure or Anne Rampling). Because this book has a different feel and message from what I am used to writing, I feel like it deserves to be separated from my dark fantasy brand.
Themes of the project: It focuses largely on social injustice, while also reading as a paranormal / kind of an urban fantasy novel. It also focuses on the morality of murder, issues of race, etc. It is meant to be, in some aspects, blatant and offensive. It is about two ghetto white boys who witness their Hispanic friend get harassed and shot by a cop. Then they do drugs, summon a demon on accident, and decide to exact their own justice by killing people who “deserve” to die, including the cop. And of course, because it’s me, there is an LGBT presence – the two main characters are gay. Other themes include grief (due to the loss of a child), separation from family, the sex trade as a business (such as with webcam performers), and suicide. It covers a lot of heavy, dark shit but there is also some dark comedy and levity between the lines. There is also a good deal of strong language (and I do mean “shit” and “fuck” is abundant).
Length: I do not know yet how long it is going to be. I intend for it to be full novel length but it may fall a bit short, depending on how things go.
Title: The standing title right now is “Drams”, a slang term for Dramamine, a drug that people abuse for a high but is used most often to alleviate sea sickness.
What I would like from YOU: There are many ways I would like to get people excited about this book. Whether you end up loving it or absolutely HATING it I want to hear why. I want to know what chords were struck – I want the full experience from the reader. I don’t necessarily want to hear about how technically good / bad it is, or how well / poorly written (though if you wish to tell me, I always appreciate some criticism). So here are some things I want to do to prepare for its release, and I need YOUR help!!
- COMMENT here, MESSAGE me on Facebook, or EMAIL me if you are interested in receiving a review copy once the project is complete. I will send you a copy in any preferred format (.PDF, .MOBI, or .EPUB) in exchange for a review posted on Amazon / other vendors the week of its release. I will try to send out review copies at least 2-4 weeks in advance, depending on how the word count turns out.
- I don’t necessarily want paragraphs of professional quality reviews. I just want to know why you love / hate it, what parts made your gut twist, what parts made you laugh – that sort of thing.
- If you are interested in reading and potentially buying, but you don’t want to commit to a review, that’s fine, too! I will send you a SAMPLE of the book, and if you decide to BUY, then my goal is to get as many buyers as possible to make their purchase on the release day. So if possible, please make your purchase on the day it comes out!
- Start discussions about the project! Even if you haven’t read it yet, you know now the themes and ideas. I’d love to talk about them with you, whether as an official “interview” on your page or just in the comments section. I want to generate interest but I also just love talking about the content. This is something I am very, very excited about.
- Subscribe to my newsletter (if you were subscribed to my old one, that one is no longer in commission, so I have a new one) for an easier way to keep up with everything!
I will also be working on promotional packages, freebies, etc to build up further excitement. If you have any more ideas or suggestions, comment, message, or email!
You are all wonderful. I hope this really takes off – as you can see, I am very enthusiastic and optimistic about this project!!